Choosing the Right SPraySkirt
Spray skirts have one purpose – to keep water out of your boat. Choosing the right spray skirt involves three considerations:
- Skirt Type: There are three types of skirts – basic bungee, advanced bungee, and rand style skirts.
- Cockpit Size: The size of your cockpit rim will determine what size skirt will fit best.
- Tunnel size: The part of the skirt you’ll be wearing. Your waist size will determine the best fit.
Basic bungee skirts:
The Shockwave and J-lo skirts use a low tension bungee to make these skirts easy to put on a boat. Basic bungees offer a great balance of value and performance for beginner-intermediate paddlers.
Advanced bungee skirts:
The Klingon and Klingon Empire skirts use a high tension bungee, hard wearing materials, and a neoprene flange that extends past the bungee to make these skirts extremely dry and long lasting. Advanced bungees are the driest of any IR skirts and are great for intermediate-expert paddlers.
Rand Style Skirts:
The Lucky Charm and Royale skirts use a rubber rand instead of a bungee to form the most implosion resistant seal. IR Rand skirts use the same hard wearing materials and flange technology as our advanced bungee skirts. Rand skirts are difficult to put on and aren’t as dry as an advanced bungee but offer unsurpassed implosion resistance. Rand skirts are ideal for expert paddlers who regularly run 30ft+ waterfalls, primarily paddle big water class V, and value implosion resistance over dryness.
The most accurate measurement for skirt fit is the circumference of your rim taken around the outside edge of your cockpit rim. Most common rim circumferences can be found at skirtfit.com. If your boat is not listed, you can measure it with a fabric measuring tape. If you don’t have a fabric tape, use a piece of string, mark it, and then measure the string. If you’re feeling helpful, submit the measurement to firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s a great website that’s helping all skirt manufacturers.
- If your rim is in-between sizes, tighter will be drier, but harder to put on. If you are running class IV whitewater, we typically recommend tighter.
- If you paddle a Pyranha Burn 1, Burn 2 or Everest, we recommend a rand skirt.
- Proper skirt fit can be a process of trial and error. Have patience- we will too. Feel to call us with any questions at 814-395-9191.
- For rims bigger than 100″ see this article
Just use your pants size: